- 1 lb (450 g) large uncooked shell-on Gulf shrimp (21-25 per lb)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 bottles (8 oz/250 mL each) clam juice
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken stock
- 1 medium onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large russet potato, unpeeled
- 4 slices uncooked bacon
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Creole seasoning
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry white wine such as Chardonnay
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) half and half
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh thyme leaves (optional)
Peel, devein shrimp and remove tails; do not discard shells or tails. Cut shrimp into small pieces; set aside. Heat oil in (4-qt./3.8-L) Casserole over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Add shells and tails; cook 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Place shells, tails, clam juice and stock into Large Micro-Cooker®; microwave, covered, on HIGH 8-9 minutes or until hot. Keep covered with lid and set aside.
Meanwhile, on clean cutting board, finely chop onion and celery using Food Chopper. Dice potato and slice bacon crosswise.. Set potato aside. Add bacon to Casserole and cook over medium heat 5-7 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from Casserole using Small Slotted Spoon (do not drain drippings). Set bacon aside.
Add onion and celery to Casserole; cook 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add flour, pressed garlic and seasoning. Cook and stir 30 seconds or until combined. Add wine and simmer 3-4 minutes or until wine is reduced by half. Strain broth mixture through Micro-Cooker® lid into Casserole. Add potatoes and half and half. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to medium-low and cook 12-14 minutes or until chowder is thickened and potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in shrimp, salt and thyme, if desired. Cook 3-4 minutes or until shrimp are pink. Serve with bacon.